Parsons Paper Company 4 of 4
After Parsons Paper Company closed its doors in 2005, the city of Holyoke attempted to claim more than a million dollars in unpaid taxes, interest and fees from National Vulcanized Fiber Company. The company, now located in Delaware, and who had owned the 313,000 square foot mill since 1959 filed for bankruptcy after the market crash in the 1990s, but continued ownership of the building and property up until it was destroyed by fire in June of 2008.
From September 23 to October 16th 2008 “Rags to Riches, A Tribute to Parsons Paper of Holyoke” an exhibit of recent color photographs by Sandy Noyes was held at the Taber Art Gallery at Holyoke Community College. The opening event attracted many former employees of Parsons Paper Company who shared stories and their knowledge of how the mill and machines operated.
Photograph ©2008 Sandy Noyes
The following Spring the Holyoke Public Library hosted Sandy Noyes and his photographs in an exhibit entitled Parsons Paper in Historical Perspective 1853-2008. Noyes' photographs were accompanied by artifacts from the Holyoke History Room's Parsons Paper Collection, and featured a lecture on paper making by Dr. Sid Berger, a renown paper collector.
Postcard invitation, photograph ©2008 Sandy Noyes
The Parsons Paper Collection Finding Aid has more information about the collection that resides at the Holyoke Public Library History Room & Archive.
The preparation of this online exhibit and the finding aid for Parsons Paper Company has been supported by a grant from Massachusetts Cultural Council 2010.
|Exhibits Home Page <<Previous Page Next Page>>|