Check-out Loan Period
Loan periods vary based on the type of materials. Items may be renewed ONCE if no other user has placed a hold on them. The renewal period is for the same amount of time as the original loan.
- 21 Days- most items not on reserve list—fiction and non-fiction.
- 7 days – videocassettes and DVDs
You may borrow any circulating material. This includes most hardcover and paperback books in the collection, videos, CDs, audiocassettes, books on tape, CD-ROMs, and children's games, puppets and toys.
Items labeled REFERENCE, newspapers and periodicals, materials on microfilm, special collection materials, and current periodicals DO NOT circulate and must be used in the library.
You may check out 1 item when you first register for a Library card. There are also C/WMARS network wide and Holyoke Public Library limits on certain types of media. Most borrowers may have up to 50 items checked out through the C/WMARS network at any one time. (Temporary borrowers have a 6 item limit at any one time.)
- Adult Non-fiction items: Maximum of two (2) on the same subject.
- Juvenile Non-Fiction items: Maximum of two (2) on the same subject.
- CD-ROMs - a total of 6 throughout C/WMARS
- Video/DVD: Adults: Maximum of four (4) from the Holyoke Public Library collection, a total of 10 throughout C/WMARS. Minors: Maximum of one (1) from the Holyoke Public Library collection. Patron must be present when checking out video/DVD.
- Audio/CD items: Maximum of four (4), a total of 20 throughout C/WMARSAdult Books-on-tapes: Maximum of six (6), a total of 12 throughout C/WMARS
- Juvenile Books-on-tapes: Maximum of _____
- Adult Fiction books: Maximum of ten (10).
- Juvenile Fiction books: Maximum of _____.
- Adult Paperbacks: Maximum of ten (10).
- Juvenile Paperbacks: Maximum of _____.
Borrowing privileges are suspended and patrons are billed immediately after items are four (4) weeks overdue. There is no grace period for overdue materials.
- The Holyoke Library Overdue Fine is 10 cents a day per item on all materials up to a maximum of $3 per item. EXCEPTION: the Overdue Fine on Videos/DVDs is $1.00 per item per day up to a maximum of $5.00. All fines, fees and gifts are used as revenue for library services and materials.
- Items that are more than 28 days overdue are considered lost and we will bill you for the replacement cost of the item. When you have items that are more than 42 days overdue, you may be referred to a collection agency. When this is done, an additional $10 collection agency fee is added to your bill. If you return a billed item, the replacement cost is deducted from your bill and you are charged only the $3 maximum overdue fine and the $10 collection agency fee (if applicable). (EXCEPTION: ILL maximum is $30.)
- If you have overdue Interlibrary Loan items, you are billed for the full replacement costs charged by the library that loaned us the material. This may include substantial processing, lost item, and overdue fees in addition to the actual replacement cost of the item.
- If you report an item LOST before it has become overdue, we bill you the replacement cost of the item. If you wish, you may supply an EXACT copy in good condition of the lost item instead of paying the replacement cost.You may pay overdue fines and other fees by cash, or check (made out to Holyoke Public Library).
How to Pay Fines
You can pay fines online from your C/WMARS account using a credit card or you can pay in person at the library. Payments made directly to the library help support our programs and services.
How to Pay Online
- Login to your C/WMARS account at http://bark.cwmars.org/eg/opac/home, with your library card number and PIN.
- On your patron account page, select PAY SELECTED FINES at the bottom right of the page.
- Complete all of the relevant information on the PAYMENTS tab.
- Click NEXT. A confirmation page will appear asking if you are sure that you want to pay. Select SUBMIT PAYMENT.
- A receipt will display for printing. If you have a valid email address, receipt of payment will also be sent to the address you entered with your billing information.
- For more info on your CWMARS account and paying fines visit My Account.